Arizona State Certification as an Advanced Practice Registered Nurse (APRN)
Below you’ll find information needed to apply for state certification as an Advanced Practice Registered Nurse (APRN) after completion of the Master of Science in Nursing/Family Nurse Practitioner (MSN/FNP) program. Graduates of the MSN/FNP are eligible to apply for the state Nurse Practitioner (NP) certification. The MSN/FNP program is approved by the Arizona Board of Nursing. Approved APRN Program List
Must hold a current, active registered nurse (RN) license in good standing in the state of Arizona or in a compact party state with multistate privileges.
Completion of an approved advanced practice registered nursing program. The educational program must have been either:
Part of a graduate degree/post-master’s program at an accredited institution;
Approved or recognized in the U.S jurisdiction of program location for the purpose of granting APRN licensure or certification. See https://www.azbn.gov/licenses-and-certifications/advanced-practice-faqs.
The program must include the following:
- A minimum of 500 faculty-supervised clinical hours.
- Three (3) separate graduate-level courses in advanced physiology/pathophysiology, including general principles across the lifespan; advanced health assessment of all human systems, advanced assessment techniques, concepts, and approaches; and advanced pharmacology inclusive of pharmacodynamics, pharmacokinetics, and pharmacotherapeutics across broad category agents.
- Diagnosis and disease management of diseases across practice settings including diseases representative of all systems.
- Preparation that provides a basic understanding of the principles for decision making in the identified role.
Preparation in the core competencies for the identified APRN role including legal, ethical, and professional responsibilities.
To apply for state certification, candidates must provide evidence of national certification as an APRN that meets the Arizona State Board of Nursing requirements. The American Academy of Nurse Practitioners/Family Nurse Practitioner and the American Nurses Credentialing Center/Family Nurse Practitioner certification programs meet these requirements. Certification is issued upon passage of an examination and meeting all other certification requirements.
Apply for American Academy of Nurse Practitioners (AANP) Certification:
- AANP Advanced Practice Nurse candidates apply directly to the AANP for certification.
- AANP FNP Certification Application
- Application, application fee, and official or unofficial transcript showing academic coursework completed to date or final official transcript showing degree awarded and date conferred submitted by University of Phoenix required.
Apply for American Nurses’ Credentialing Center (ANCC) Certification:
- ANCC Advanced Practice Nurse candidates apply directly to the ANCC for certification.
- ANCC FNP Certification Application
- Application, application fee, validation of education form completion, and official transcript with degree conferral and date of degree submitted by University of Phoenix required. For authorization to sit for the exam, prior to degree conferral and graduation, ANCC will accept unofficial transcripts showing academic coursework to date.
Candidates will apply directly to the Arizona State Board of Nursing via Arizona Nurse Portal.
The following must be received by the Board:
- Completed application with the associated fees.
- Official transcript (s) and a letter verifying completion sent directly from the University of Phoenix.
- National certification sent directly from the certifying agency.
- Evidence of meeting practice requirement:
- Completed an APRN program within the past five (5) years; or
- Practiced for a minimum of 960 hours within the past five (5) years where the nurse:
- Worked for compensation or as a volunteer, as an APRN. Or
- Held a position for compensation or as a volunteer that required, preferred, or recommended in the job description, the level of advanced practice certification being sought or renewed.
- Completed fingerprint card if applicable.
Arizona State Board of Nursing
1740 West Adams, Suite 2000
Phoenix, AZ 85007
Phone (602) 771-78001 Main Number
Disclaimer: This summary is provided as a reference tool for our students. Every effort is made to ensure this information is accurate and up-to-date. However, as certification/licensure requirements are subject to change at any time, students are encouraged to check with their appropriate state licensing authority (provided above) for additional information.