Federal Financial Aid Plan

The Federal Financial Aid Plan is available to students who are interested in receiving federal grants, federal loans or both to pay for tuition in an eligible degree or certificate program.

A list of federal financial aid programs is available on the U.S. Department of Education Student Aid website under Types of Aid. To begin the federal financial aid process, you must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), available at http://www.fafsa.gov. When applying for federal financial aid, you’ll need a school code for FAFSA. Our FAFSA School code is 014593.

In addition to the FAFSA, students who anticipate using federal financial aid may also complete and submit these documents:

  • Master Promissory Note (MPN) (if student loans are being requested)
  • Entrance Counseling  (if student loans are being requested)
  • Loan Request Form (if student loans are being requested)

You are responsible for payment of tuition and course materials fees not covered by federal financial aid prior to the start of each course.

The Department of Education federal aid year runs July 1 of a given year through June 30th of the following year. Students can enroll at any point throughout the aid year; a FAFSA for that aid year will be completed. Students should complete and submit the FAFSA for the current aid year as soon as possible. The updated FAFSA is available to students every year on October 1st.

Federal Aid YearFederal Aid Year
FAFSA to be
Tax Year Data used
2020 – 20217/1/20 – 6/30/212020/20212018

Things to know about financial aid

Play video

Federal student loan basics

The Req to Repay Student Loans

Play video

Being eligible and staying eligible for federal student loans

Being Eligible and Staying Eligible for Federal Student Loans

Play video

Student loan fees and interest

Student Loan Fees and Interest

Play video

What is the FAFSA form?

What is the FAFSA form?

Play video

Will you have funding to complete your program?

Will you have funding to complete your program?

Federal financial aid programs

For more information regarding how to apply, eligibility, and maximum award amounts, please select a program below and proceed to the Department of Education’s Federal Student Aid website:

Students who choose the Federal Financial Aid Plan, may be allowed to defer tuition payment while the application is being processed. A Finance Advisor can provide further details.

Watch this video on responsible borrowing for more information about federal student loans.

You may also review the Financial Services blog for more information on financial literacy.


In order to be considered for federal financial aid, you must reapply each award year. For additional information, please contact a Finance Advisor.


Terms and conditions

Additional information is available, and we recommend that all prospective students consider the following:

  • You must attend school continuously, with no attendance breaks greater than 14 days, to retain disbursed federal financial aid funds. A leave of absence must be requested and approved if you require more than 14 days away from class.
  • Not all University of Phoenix® degree programs are eligible for federal financial aid. Please check with an advisor.
  • Review the Consumer Information Guide.
  • If the University determines that you are not eligible for federal financial aid and/or you do not provide all requested documentation, you will be immediately responsible for any outstanding balance and will be required to comply with the terms and conditions of the Cash Plan.
  • Students who do not comply with their primary financial option may not be allowed to attend classes. Your eligibility to start or continue attending classes is at the discretion of the University. A student may not be financially approved to attend class for failure to make payment in a timely manner, preventing the student from attending future class sessions until the amount owed is paid in full or satisfactory payment arrangements are made. Finance Advisors are available to provide additional information.
  • Washington Student Loan Advocate Statement: For Washington State residents seeking information and resources about student loan repayment or seeking to submit a complaint relating to your student loans or student loan servicer, please visit www.wsac.wa.gov/loan-advocacy or contact the Student Loan Advocate at loanadvocate@wsac.wa.gov.

More financial options

Your future begins here