Other Military Resources
We offer academic resources tailored to military students. Certain states may limit credits awarded, so be sure to check with a University Academic Advisor.
Get credit for what you learn outside of the classroom
With Prior Learning Assessment, you can receive undergraduate college credits through the assessment of prior college-level learning. You can also complete approved national testing examinations. This can accelerate the time it takes to complete an undergraduate degree at a fraction of the cost.
Certain states limit cumulative degree program credits awarded through Prior Learning Assessment. Check with an enrollment representative for details. And please keep in mind that acceptance of credit by any institution is at the discretion of the receiving institution. You’ll need to confirm whether or not credits accepted by or earned at University of Phoenix will be accepted by another institution.
Credit for military experience
Veterans and active duty servicemembers can have their military training evaluated for college credit. There is no charge to submit official military documents of training and experience for evaluation.
Use the official military documents:
- DD Form 214—Armed Forces of the United States Report of Transfer or Discharge
- Army/American Council on Education Registry Transcript System (AARTS)
The credit recommendations are identified by the American Council on Education in The Guide to the Evaluation of Educational Experiences in the Armed Services.
Credit for experiential learning
Those who wish to have their personal and professional experiences outside of the military assessed for equivalence to college-level learning can submit them through the Prior Learning Assessment process.
Credit for previously documented learning
- Professional training
- Workshops and seminars
- Businesses and professional course certificates
- Transcripts from unaccredited institutions
- Transcripts from nationally accredited institutions
- Articulated agreements for college equivalency
Credit earned through national testing programs
Military members are eligible to take College-Level Examination Program (CLEP) or Defense Activity for Non-Traditional Education Support (DANTES) examinations through an approved military installation at no charge. As a convenience to our students, we offer the CLEP examination at campuses nationwide for a nominal fee. Up to 30 undergraduate credits can be earned through approved national testing programs. To receive a listing of all University of Phoenix testing locations for CLEP, please take a moment to complete our Information Request Form.
Academic quality and standards
We follow standards that meet or exceed those recommended by the recognized national organizations to ensure the academic integrity of our programs.
- American Council on Education (ACE)
- ACE/National Guide to Educational Credit for Training Programs
- ACE/College Credit Recommendation Service (CREDIT)
- ACE/Guide to the Evaluation of Educational Experiences in the Armed Services
- The Army/American Council on Education Registry Transcript System (AARTS)
- Program on Non-Collegiate Sponsored Instruction (PONSI)
- Sailor/Marine American Council on Education Registry Transcript (SMART)
- Council for Adult and Experiential Learning (CAEL)
Links to the above-referenced websites are for the viewer's convenience and do not imply affiliation, endorsement or sponsorship.
CLEP is a registered trademark of College Entrance Examination Board.
Berlitz is a registered trademark of Berlitz International, Inc.